Why are sugars added to foods?
Apart from their sweetening properties sugars have many practical uses in foods, such as
- Giving flavour, texture and a golden colour to bread and baked products
- Acting as a natural preservative preventing bacteria from growing in products such as jam
- Adding texture to give a smooth, soft consistency to ice cream and frozen desserts
- Enhancing the flavour of fruit products such as chutney and tomato dishes
- Balancing the acidity of non-sweet foods such as sauces and salad dressing